Here at Today’s Future Sound, we are proud to present a collaboration between Dr. Elliot Gann’s therapeutic beat-making method, and Salih Gulbay’s “Integrated Hip Hop Therapy Model” which includes some of our partners such as Dr. Raphael Travis, and JC Hall.
- Focusing on objectives of fundamental understanding of therapeutic beat making/Today’s Future Sound model and practice, and trauma applications.
- Focusing on various beat making techniques and styles, operation of Ableton Live 10 and Push 2 to make, teach and perform beats.
- The beat making pedagogy, in addition to curriculum development, understanding of Hip Hop and electronic “Beat Culture,” the “Beat Scene,” beat cyphers and beat battles and their role in Hip Hop.
- Understanding and capacity to lead basic group Dynamic Mindfulness (DMind) breathing exercises.
Developing and applying “Integrated Hip Hop Therapy Model” to reduce the symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder of the adolescent refugees. Helping them to gain the artistic and intellectual skills and knowledge so that they can play a part in the process of preventing psychological risks of their peers and avoiding relapse to their symptoms. Finally, using scientific investigation tools with the help of Neurology Research Institute of Val d’Hebron to evaluate the results of the project.
The “Project In” aims to develop and apply a mixture of recent and PTSD informed multidisciplinary methods to reduce the psychological symptoms of the adolescent refugees who are suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. The project also aims to develop a final community event to prevent relapse in the symptomatology and increase social, and global awareness of the adolescents. The scientific and therapeutic resources that the project aims to use are,
- Mindfulness meditation for self-compassion
- Therapeutical Beat Making (by Dr. Elliot Gann)
- Hip Hop Empowerment (by Dr. Raphael Travis)
- Hip Hop Therapy (by Dr. Edgar H. Tyson)
- Rap song writing in a PTSD informed model (by JC. Hall)
- Hip Hop Crew (Community Music Therapy with Hip Hop)
- Music Therapy with music production and recording
- Culturally Informed Music Therapy
- Dance Movement Therapy with Hip Hop
- Graffiti based visual arts therapy
By evaluating the mixture of most effective, diverse and intriguing-for-the-target-group methodology, the “Project In” aims to develop a new reproducible model called “Integrated Hip Hop Therapy Model for PTSD”, and applying it to an immense population of adolescent refugees world-wide.
Barcelona as the centre for the pilot study.
Significant reduction in symptoms of PTSD connected to refugee status. Avoiding relapse of the symptoms. Increase in the target population’s interest on the artistic/intellectual expression and their awareness on themselves and on their surroundings. Provision of tools and trainings to the highly interested members to become representatives of the project in other cities and countries. Rather than ending the contact with the participants the project aims to assess the progress of all the participants in follow up studies, open new centres, reach more participants, and create a sense of community with the help of the previous participants who are interested to contribute in the project as a staff member.
In the first application the target group is from 30 to 40 adolescents in any gender. The first application period is going to be 6 months. When this pilot application gives its results, the aim is to train more therapists and repeat the methodology simultaneously. Even though in the first year it actively reaches only reaches a small group of adolescents, depending on the resources that we have, The “Project In” have the potential to reach 2000 to 3000 adolescents in the first 5 active years by applying the model with innovations and young therapists who will be highly trained to use this model . Rather than ending the contact with the participants the project aims to assess the progress of all the participants in follow up studies, open new centres, reach more participants, and create a sense of community with the help of the previous participants who are interested to contribute in the project as a staff member.
Salih Gulbay’s Link Tree: https://linktr.ee/salihgulbaymt
Salih Gulbay pictured in Barcelona, Spain
Dr. Elliot Gann pictured with Salih Gulbay